Couples in a successful marriage are clever. They read books, attend seminars, browse web articles and observe other successful marriages. However, successful couples will tell you that they also learn by experience — marriage success is experimental.
Read up these 5 secretes of success my wife and I have practised in our few years of marriage.
- Stop doing things the way you have always done them. If you do what you always do, you will get same result. Wise couples have learned that you have to approach problems differently to get different results. Often, minor changes in approach, attitude and actions make the biggest difference in marriage and bring happiness.
- Make conscious effort to improve yourselves. Surely the grass is greenest where you water it. Spouses in a successful marriage have learned to resist the grass is greener myth — Stop thinking that someone else will make me happy. Learned to put your energy into making yourselves and your marriage better.
- Stop Holding on to the Past, Stop holding on to Grudges. Spouses in a successful marriage have learned to resist holding grudges and bringing up the past. They remember that they married an imperfect person — and so did their spouse.
- Be intentional about being there for your Partner. When things get tough and couples don’t know what to do, they need to hang in there and be there for their spouse. Time has a way of helping couples work things out by providing opportunities to reduce stress and overcome challenges.
- Your attitude does matter a lot. You can’s have a successful marriage with a bad attitude. It’s never going to happen. Changing behaviour is important, but so is changing attitudes. Bad attitudes often drive bad feelings and actions.
These are not all the secretes out there to having a happy and successful marriage. But this will help you go a long way.
If you know any other ways you would want to share with us. Please do so in the Forum session.